Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Kind Worth Killing - Peter Swanson

The Kind Worth Killing
Title: The Kind Worth Killing
Author: Peter Swanson
Publication Date: 2/3/2015
Pages: 320
Genre: Thriller / Fiction
How I Found It: Young House Love talked about it on their site and their podcast.
Date Completed: 10/25/17

Summary: Lily and Ted meet on a transatlantic flight. Ted has just discovered his wife, Miranda, is having an affair. Lily offers to help Ted kill Miranda. He accepts. 

What I Thought: There have been so, so many books hailed as the next Gone Girl. Few live up the to the hype. This one comes as close as I've seen.

Kevin and I listened to it the weekend before Halloween as we drove to Savannah to celebrate our 5th anniversary. Listening to a book about marital infidelity and murder is probably not a super fabulous way to mark a celebration of years of love, but, hey, we enjoyed continually asking the other person if they were planning on murder being a part of the trip. We're fun like that.

I was really impressed with Swanson's execution (no pun intended) of the plot. He keeps you guessing and is totally willing to expectedly turn the tables on the reader. For the whole first part, I did keep saying to Kevin, "This is going too smoothly. A big twist has to be coming." I was right. And it was a great twist. 

I was especially impressed with the character of Lily Kintner. Her cool, collected approach to morally despicable acts was fascinating. Watching her unconsciously unravel was my favorite aspect of the book. As for the ending, I loved it and thought it fit perfectly with the rest of the book. Rarely is their a character you simultaneously so despise and so root for.

I don't want to say much more because I want you to go pick this up and enjoy it yourself. 

Rating: ★★★★☆
Will I Re-Read: Nope
If You Liked This, Try: The Passenger / The Widow / Luckiest Girl Alive

A Reduced Review: In the pantheon of books meant to be the next Gone Girl, this one actually has a shot at the lofty claim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment