Friday, October 20, 2017

The Pursuit of God - A. W. Tozer

The Pursuit of God
Title: The Pursuit of God
Author: A. W. Tozer
Publication Date: 1948
Pages: 128
Genre: Faith / Nonfiction
How I Found It: It's a popular book in Christian circles
Date Completed: 10/7/17

Summary: A deep look at what makes us long for God and how we seek to satiate that desire elsewhere. 

What I Thought: This is a seminal work when you think about American faith. Tozer is a well-known theologian in evangelical Christian circles and this book has a lot to do with that. I have no doubt that nearly every pastor under whom I have ever sat has read this work.

And, perhaps, that's why I found it so familiar. There were few moments in this short work that felt really groundbreaking to me. Tozer's concepts were familiar. They are profound, no doubt, but I had heard most of them before. Tozer's work has made its way to me through years of preaching long before I ever got my hands on a physical copy of it. It's easy to see how the teachers from whom I learned learned from Tozer. 

I say that not to downplay the importance of Tozer's work here. It's easy to see why this book has been so impactful. It's concise and wise. There were wonderful reminders in here for me and I'm glad I have read it for myself now. 

Rating: ★★★★☆
Will I Re-Read: Yes, probably

A Reduced Review: It's easy to see why this is considered an important piece of the American faith literary canon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment