Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The Search for Delicious - Natalie Babbitt

The Search for Delicious
Title: The Search for Delicious
Author: Natalie Babbitt
Publication Date: 1969
Pages: 176
How I Found It: I read it as a kid.
Date Completed: 7/23/17

Summary: When everyone at court disagrees on the definition of 'delicious' for the Prime Minister's dictionary, young Gaylan is sent to poll the people of the kingdom. Along the way, he finds himself embroiled with creatures of fantasy and a plot to overthrow the King. 

What I Thought: Natalie Babbitt wrote several books I read as a child and which have stayed with me over the years. Since I've been enjoying dipping my toe back into the world of children's literature lately, it seemed like a good time to revisit this one. 

It was as charming as I remember. I cannot really pinpoint what about this book stuck with me for so long. It is not particularly exceptional. Yet, there is something to it which I just enjoy. I think it has just the right balance of humor, fantasy, and intrigue for me. 

It's a great elementary level book. Older students will catch more of the humor as the characters debate over meanings of words. Younger students will be captivated by the fantasy creatures. Though most of the characters are male, Babbitt brings a nice balance of interest for any young reader, which I appreciate.

I'm glad I read this one again. It made me want to pick up some other Babbitt novels again after all these years. Stay tuned for those.

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Someday

A Reduced Review: A charming, well-balanced story with something for any young reader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment