Friday, August 11, 2017

Captive - Aimée Carter

Captive
Title: Captive
Author: Aimée Carter
Publication Date: 11/25/2014
Pages: 304
Genre: Dystopian / Young Adult / Fiction
How I Found It: I read the first book in the series, Pawn.
Date Completed: 7/10/17

Summary: Kitty's position posing as the Prime Minister's niece remains precarious. As she attempts to get increasingly involved in the rebellion against him, she finds herself trapped.

What I Thought: For some reason, I cannot figure out where I stand on this series. I think it boils down to this: I love the plot, I hate the characters.

The setup and plot of these books are really interesting. I think the premise is great, if a little boilerplate for the dystopian genre these days. Still, I think Carter has some great ideas and she keeps me guessing, which is always a feat.

The characters, though. Protagonist Kitty just grates on me. She was marginally better in this book, but I still find her generally insufferable. She is impulsive and selfish, but presented as neither. I get that her situation is complex and confusing and quite frustrating. Plus, she really is a kid. We forget that sometimes with these YA dystopian books. In spite of those excuses, I find her to be a weak character and a weak person. Her supporting cast doesn't do much for me either. 

I will read the last book in the series largely because I want to find out what happens. The plot is enough to keep me going here. In the mean time, I'm going to be wondering if I'm the only one who struggles with these characters. Anyone else out there who has read the series? What did you think of the characters? Am I being too particular? 

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Nope, but I want to read the last one in the series
If You Liked This, Try: Coda Relic The Selection series
Other Books By Aimée Carter: Pawn

A Reduced Review: I'm fascinated by the plot of this series, but cannot stand the characters acting it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment