Wednesday, June 7, 2017

A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time
Title: A Wrinkle in Time
Author: Madeleine L'Engle
Publication Date: 1962
Pages: 211
Genre: Children's Literature / Classic / Fantasy / Science Fiction / Young Adult / Fiction
How I Found It: I haven't read this classic in years, but I picked it up at a used book sale recently.
Date Completed: 5/16/17

Summary: Meg and Charles Wallace Murry, along with their friend Calvin, are whisked off on a terrifying and tremendous in hopes of rescuing their father.

What I Thought: I haven't read this book in so long. It has been years. I know I read it once as a child and I had a loose recollection of the plot. It has been long enough, though, that much of the book still felt delightfully fresh to me.

I know there is a fresh adaptation of this coming soon, and so when I both picked up a copy at a used book sale and then there was one in a book of old books my mom gave me, it just felt like all the sides were pointing to a reread.

I'm so glad I did. Reading this as a child, the book offers adventure, fantastic beasts, and a lovely emphasis on family. Reading as an adult, L'Engle makes quite a statement about the battle between good and evil and how to fight in it. It's resembles a Pixar film in that there is something for every age (albeit, here that something is morally-based, not comedy based).

I am excited for the upcoming adaptation. I know I've seen at least one movie version of this before, though I don't remember it being particularly good. The new one has an incredible cast, including Oprah Winfrey as Mrs. Which. All through reading the book, I kept hearing Mrs. Which's voice as Oprah's because of the writing style. When I finally looked up who was playing Mrs. Which in the new version, it felt beyond perfect.

I think this is one of those books that gets richer with time. Though L'Engle wrote it 55 years ago, it is just as relevant for the modern era. In fact, that scene with the homogeneous population all bouncing balls and calling children in for dinner simultaneously felt like a great reminder that the ideals of yesteryear are not all they are cracked up to be. The message that like and equal need not be the same is so pertinent in our modern era.

I have never read the rest of the series, so now I am certainly going to embark on that. I also have heard wonderful things about L'Engle's Genesis trilogy, so I want to hunt that down as well. While I'm doing that, you should definitely pick up this book. If it's been years since your last experience with it or you are completely new to the story, it's a classic for a reason. It's an easy read but carries so much weight.

Quote I Loved: "Like and equal are two entirely different things."

Rating: ★★★★★
Will I Re-Read: Yes
If You Liked This, Try: The Gammage Cup / Dealing with Dragons / The Golem and the Jinni

A Reduced Review: A classic for a reason, this book offers so much to readers of any age.

No comments:

Post a Comment