Monday, May 1, 2017

April 2017 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  

April News 


As always, April has lived up to my expectations. It's been a really crazy month for us. We are always so busy during April. It's Kevin's busiest month of the year for work, plus he's taking two of his final MBA classes, plus he's been traveling for work and family reasons. The end of the semester always finds me drained and desperate for respite. I have had my own family events this month, too (my parents just moved to North Carolina!). Plus, we had Kevin's birthday. To say we're exhausted is an understatement. It's been a good month, but a very busy one. I, for one, am longing for the languid days of summer which lie ahead. Ok, they probably won't be particularly languid knowing us, but they won't be April and for that, I'm thankful.

April also marks the start of summer weather here in North Carolina. We had some truly beautiful days in the 70s and then spring waved goodbye and now we're having upper 80s and the beginnings of summer humidity. We planted our garden and everything is vividly green around here. We love summertime, the heat and all, so we're not complaining. But, I did reluctantly turn on the air for the first time because I just can't sleep in an 80+ degree house.

Despite our hectic schedules, I've been really proud of myself for staying on top of things this month. As much as it wears me down, I thrive under a busy schedule. It thrusts my organizational nature into action and I become a to-do list completing machine. I also often find that I read more during hectic months. I use reading as an escape and it's easy to fit it into the short breaks in between tasks, whereas if I sit down to watch a TV show I can get sucked into binge watching. So, here's all that I read and reviewed during April:


Books Reviewed

  1. Appointment in Samarra - John O'Hara
  2. A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway
  3. I, Claudius - Robert Graves
  4. Marie Antoinette - Antonia Fraser
  5. You Will Not Have My Hate - Antoine Leiris
  6. Under the Tuscan Sun - Frances Mayes
  7. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Rackman
  8. Beyond the Label - Maureen Chiquet
  9. Furiously Happy - Jenny Lawson
  10. Between the World and Me - Ta-Nehisi Coates
  11. The Danish Girl - David Ebershoff
  12. Bread and Wine - Shauna Niequist

Books Read

  1. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Rackman
  2. Furiously Happy - Jenny Lawson
  3. Between the World and Me - Ta-Nehisi Coates
  4. The Danish Girl - David Ebershoff
  5. Beyond the Label - Maureen Chiquet
  6. The Naked and the Dead - Norman Mailer
  7. Killing Wonder Woman - Tenaya T. J. Tison
  8. Bread and Wine - Shauna Niequist
  9. Bad Feminist - Roxane Gay
  10. The Killing Lessons - Saul Black
  11. The Magician's Land - Lev Grossman
  12. Wishful Drinking - Carrie Fisher
  13. The Studs Lonigan Trilogy - James T. Farrell
Pages Read: 4,985

Favorite Book Read: I really enjoyed Bread and Wine. Even more than I thought I would.

2017 Monthly Goals 

One of my goals this year is to read 5 books every month:
  • 100 Best Novels 
    The Naked and the Dead - Norman Mailer
    The Studs Lonigan Trilogy - James T. Farrell
    91% complete with total challenge 
  • 1 Faith-Centered or Philosophical Book 
    Between the World and Me - Ta-Nehisi Coates
    Bread and Wine - Shauna Niequist
    Killing Wonder Woman - Tenaya T. J. Tison
  • 1 Nonfiction 
    Bad Feminist - Roxane Gay

Elsewhere Online...

I'm reading tons of political stuff these days, but nothing particularly jumped out and felt worth sharing this month.

~     ~     ~

As we head into summer, I'm dreaming of days spent reading by the pool. I always try to do some lighter reading in that setting, so I'm looking forward to some pure guilty pleasure reading. Do you have certain things you read during the summer months? 

No comments:

Post a Comment