Friday, August 5, 2016

Darkness at Noon - Arthur Koestler

Darkness at Noon
Title: Darkness at Noon
Author: Arthur Koestler
Publication Date: 1940
Pages: 272
Genre: Classic / Historical / Fiction
How I Found It: 100 Best Novels list
Date Completed: 6/10/16

Summary: A Russian revolutionary is imprisoned and spends the time reflecting on his life and work. 

What I Thought: After the painful experience that was Nostromo, it was nice to read a book from the Modern Library list that felt enjoyable and not so torturous. This is what I imagined the list to be like before I started this challenge. 

I found Darkness at Noon enjoyable. I liked the perspective of a jailed revolutionary, particularly one who seems to be fading in his own fervor for change. I enjoyed both the plot of Rubashov in the prison facing off against guards and debating a confession as well as his reflections on life before his capture. Both were well crafted story lines and they worked together well.

For me, this one falls in the middle of the pack. I enjoyed it, but wasn't captivated or particularly moved by it either. It's a good book - no doubt. Well worth reading and I'm glad I did. However, it did not leave a strong impression on me. As I'm writing this (several weeks after finishing the book - shame on me), I'm struggling to even think of other things to say. That in and of itself seems to say more than any other thoughts I could summon. 

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Maybe someday
If You Liked This, Try: Invisible Man / The Secret Agent / Ragtime

A Reduced Review: A well-crafted story about a Russian revolutionary. Unfortunately, it did not leave much of an impression on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment