Monday, May 2, 2016

April 2016 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  


April News 


Oh, April. I am so glad to see you go. This month has been crazy and hectic and exhausting, as predicted. I feel as though Kevin and I have barely seen each other - never a good thing for a couple who enjoys spending basically all our free time together. On one hand, all the time on my own while he's been at work or class or traveling or whatnot has resulted in a huge reading month. I read so much in April. I think it's a new monthly record for me. Still, I am looking forward to happily trading some of that reading time for husband time again. Summer is always a good time for reading, but I like it best when I'm sitting next to my man poolside. So many of my favorite activities can converge in that scenario and I love it. Summer is coming!

Since summer is such a good time for reading, you may be on the lookout for some books of your own for the upcoming season. Good news! I'm officially here to help you out.

I am launching personalized reading recommendations for anyone who wants them. I absolutely love doing this for friends and family. Recently, one of my best friends suggested I start offering the service through the blog and I thought it was a great plan. All you have to do is fill out a quick survey and I'll send you a list of at least five books I think you will enjoy. It's a great way to get your summer reading list started. Check out the page here!

Here's your April update...


Books Reviewed

  1. The Prodigal God - Timothy Keller
  2. The Woodcutter - Kate Danley
  3. At Home with the Queen - Brian Hoey
  4. Only in Naples - Katherine Wilson
  5. Native Son - Richard Wright
  6. Go Set A Watchman - Harper Lee
  7. 300 Days of Sun - Deborah Lawrenson
  8. Rilla of Ingleside - L. M. Montgomery
  9. China Rich Girlfriend - Kevin Kwan
  10. A Nice Little Place on the North Side - George F. Will
  11. Champagne Baby - Laure Dugas

Books Read

  1. How to Be a Heroine - Samantha Ellis
  2. My Holiday in North Korea - Wendy E. Simmons
  3. The Fever - Megan Abbott
  4. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
  5. 300 Days of Sun - Deborah Lawrenson
  6. The Lost World - Michael Crichton
  7. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
  8. Out of Sorts - Sarah Bessey
  9. The Magus - John Fowles
  10. The Rainbow - D. H. Lawrence
  11. Radical - Maajid Nawaz
  12. Armada - Ernest Cline
  13. Why Not Me? - Mindy Kaling
  14. Champagne Baby - Laure Dugas
Pages Read: 5,614

Favorite Book Read: Some really good ones this month. I think I'll have to go with Out of Sorts by Sarah Bessey.

2016 Monthly Goals 

One of my goals this year is to read 6 books every month:
  • 100 Best Novels 
    Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
    The Magus - John Fowles
    The Rainbow - D. H. Lawrence
    59% complete with total challenge 
  • 1 Faith-Centered or Philosophical Book 
    Out of Sorts - Sarah Bessey
  • 1 Nonfiction 
    How to Be a Heroine - Samantha Ellis
    My Holiday in North Korea - Wendy E. Simmons
    Radical - Maajid Nawaz
    Why Not Me? - Mindy Kaling
    Champagne Baby - Laure Dugas
  • 1 from On Reserve
    Outlander - Diana Gabaldon

Articles

Speaking of Sarah Bessey, she put together a reader-curated list of books to give a girl whose graduating

If you, like me, celebrated the 5th anniversary of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge last Friday, you may want to check out this amazing novel inspired by their relationship, The Royal We. It was one of my absolute favorites last year and I'm gearing up for a reread this summer.

10 Spring Cleaning Tips for Getting Rid of Old & Unread Books. Are there such things?
~     ~     ~

Happy summertime reading, friends! It's such a great time to stretch your wings and pick up things you normally wouldn't have time for or maybe wouldn't try during the school year. Don't forget, if you need some help finding some new books, I'm your girl!

1 comment:

  1. Personalized book recommendations?! What a fun idea! I know a big question for readers is what to read next. I hope lots of people take advantage of your services. I loved Out of Sorts, too. I just love Sarah Bessey's words!

    ReplyDelete