Friday, October 2, 2015

September 2015 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  


September News 

How is it already October? I know saying that makes the most basic of, uh, girls, but I don't even care. September absolutely flew by and I simply cannot believe that fall is here in full force.

After coming off a (very) short hiatus in August, it felt nice to be back for September. As our lives has slowly returned to some semblance of routine and normalcy, so, too, has my reading and blogging schedule. I found myself in a serious reading funk for much of the month; I could not find anything I really was enjoyed and stopped reading more books than I finished - an absolute rarity for me. I think I have finally muscled through and am back on track.

This month, I had the absolute pleasure of meeting up with Maggie from Macarons & Paperbacks for the first time in person. I am so thankful we had the chance before she welcomes her little boy (any time now, really!). We had a great time chatting and getting to know one another in real life, even though the restaurant I blindly picked didn't turn out to be super great. I hope we have the opportunity to meet up again soon! Maggie is the first Internet friend I have met in real life and, despite Kevin's warnings that she was probably a serial killer in disguise, she turned out to be even more lovely in real life than online - inside and out.

Thanks for hanging with me this summer as things were so busy. I am fully back in action now. I have a large stack of books waiting to be read and I tried my first ever Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks (I'm afraid I'm starting to like fancy coffee beverages), so I trust October will be delightful.

Books Reviewed

  1. Fortune Smiles - Adam Johnson
  2. The Sisters of Versailles - Sally Christie
  3. Blue Plate Special  - Kate Christensen
  4. Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad
  5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J. K. Rowling
  6. Provence, 1970 - Luke Barr
  7. Coda - Emma Trevayne
  8. Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood

Books Read

  1. The Sisters of Versailles - Sally Christie
  2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J. K. Rowling
  3. Provence, 1970 - Luke Barr
  4. Coda - Emma Trevayne
  5. The Underground Girls of Kabul - Jenny Nordberg
  6. Tiger Heart - Katrell Christie
  7. French Women Don't Get Fat - Mireielle Guiliano
  8. Sous Chef - Michael Gibney
Pages Read: 2,916

Favorite Book Read: As always, I'm not included Harry Potter in the running. It's just not fair. That being said, The Underground Girls of Kabul most certainly qualifies as my favorite book this month. Review coming next week. You should read this book.

100 Best Novels Progress

  • None. Oops. My plans to finish this list by my 30th birthday are not looking good. 
  • 43% complete

2015 TBR Pile Challenge Progress

No progress here, although I did at least start Fangirl. I need a strong push to finish by the end of the year, but it's totally do-able. 


Articles

Slate turned some iconic book covers into gifs. Feels appropriate to share in light of Apple's new "moving pictures." We're all one step closer to Harry Potter-style photography.

Making time for books makes you feel less busy. Always so true for me.

Bookstore signs are the best.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/katieheaney/21-bookstore-signs-that-capture-the-joy-of-reading#.momDZGrG

What you should read next, based on your favorite Disney princess
~     ~     ~

October is going to be a busy month for us. We have lots of guests coming to see us and our new house (yay!) and we have our third anniversary as well. We are currently trying to plan some sort of weekend getaway for ourselves, so we'll see where that takes us. However busy we are, I am looking forward to the colder days and the excuses to curl up inside with a book and a warm beverage at all possible opportunities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment