Friday, October 30, 2015

October 2015 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  


October News 

As I am writing this, I am looking out the window at some very dreary rain and gray skies. It's almost like being back in Ohio. I really do not mind days like these. A little cold weather and rain can do me good once in a while. It's the snow which is my mortal enemy. How thankful I am to be living somewhere where I see the white evil so rarely! The cold air and rain signal our without-a-doubt transition into fall. The clocks change this weekend and Thanksgiving is only weeks away (to my delight). I've worn boots more days than not in the last week and I wore a coat to class today. The leaves are shifting hue to show their versatility and beauty. Adele has made her triumphant return and lives on repeat in my speakers. Autumn is officially among us here on the East Coast. It's beautiful, even in the dreary rain.

Of course, maybe I can admire the beauty of autumn fully since last weekend Kevin and went to the beach to celebrate our third anniversary. It was perfection. We ate buckets of fresh seafood and walked the beach in bare feet and reflected on a wide spectrum of topics, including how we have grown in the past years together. The sun and the waves made it hard to believe it is the end of October. Additionally, next weekend, I am going to see one of my very dearest friends at her home in southern Florida. So, of course I can love autumn in this moment; I'm bookending its entrance with beach trips.

October was so, so busy for us. We have scarcely caught our breath and we are headed into November and the holidays, an even busier time. Still, we know the business of these past few months has and will be filled with friends and family, something about which we would never complain.

Amazingly, in the midst of everything happening, I got quite a bit of reading done. I really took to heart that article I shared last month about how making time for books makes you feel less busy. That's always so true for me, and this month is no exception. When I take time out to invest in myself and my own sanity, I feel so refreshed and ready to face the crazy again. Speaking of the crazy, below is a glimpse of what I got done in the literary quadrant of my life this month.

Oh, and make sure you read to the end of the post. I have some exciting announcements about November!

Books Reviewed

  1. Tiger Heart - Katrell Christie
  2. The Underground Girls of Kabul - Jenny Nordberg
  3. French Women Don't Get Fat - Mireille Guiliano
  4. Keep Moving - Dick Van Dyke
  5. Sous Chef - Michael Gibney
  6. Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell
  7. Unbecoming - Rebecca Scherm
  8. The Adventures of Augie March - Saul Bellow

Books Read

  1. Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell
  2. The Indifferent Stars Above - Daniel James Brown
  3. Mendocino Fire - Elizabeth Tallent
  4. Unbecoming - Rebecca Scherm
  5. The Adventures of Augie March - Saul Bellow
  6. After Alice - Gregory Maguire
  7. Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys
  8. All the Stars in the Heavens - Adriana Trigiani
Pages Read: 3,071

Favorite Book Read: I really enjoyed Fangirl quite a bit. It was so different than most of the things I have been reading lately. A close runner-up, however, would be The Indifferent Stars Above, which is a narrative nonfiction work about the Donner party. Totally fascinating...and a little stomach-turning.

100 Best Novels Progress

2015 TBR Pile Challenge Progress

I read Fangirl, which was one of my alternates. I also started The Grapes of Wrath and picked up Jesus Feminist from the library, so things are looking strong to complete the challenge on time! I've had a lot of fun doing this and definitely plan on doing it again next year. 


Articles

In case you missed it, you can have Christmas dinner at Hogwarts this year!

A fascinating look at how The Martian was translated for the big screen.

Netflix is turning Thirteen Reasons Why into a miniseries
~     ~     ~

A few exciting things coming up in November (in addition to that Florida trip next weekend!):

First and foremost, I'm really excited to be participating in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) for the first time ever. My college/internet friend Suzanne over at Tattooed Missionary encouraged me to join in the fun. I've been honored to read some of her work and be a sounding board for her in the past, so I hope she'll return the favor once I finish my NaNoWriMo attempt. Being an author is always something that has appealed to be and publishing a book has long been on my bucket list. As I said to Kevin when I was talking to him about it, I've thought about participating in NaNoWriMo for the past several years, but it has never seemed like the right time. But, as I've been told about having kids, no time is ever the right time. While that logic still very much applies to any biological reproductive plans I may or may not have, I am tired of putting of aspirations of literary and creative production. It's time for me to step out, look one of my goals in the face, and do something about it. So, here I go. I have about a third of a rough outline at this point, but it's very rough. As of now, I have not told a soul what I plan to write about and, should it turn out to be a flop or a failure, I may never. The important thing in my mind, though, is that I'm going to start flexing these fictional writing muscles again. If I don't, my goal of being published will never be more that a dream. If you are participating in NaNoWriMo, I would absolutely love to be your "buddy" or whatever. I've signed up on the official site and you can see my profile here.

Secondly, I am so happy to be featuring five different books from TLC Book Tours next week. Consider it TLC Week here at Read.Write.Repeat. I have worked with them to line up five very different works to tell you about - one each weekday as week kick of November. Because of the diversity in the books, I am sure you'll be interested in at least one of them. Make sure to come back every day next week to learn about a new book! I'm excited about this collaboration and you should be, too!

That about wraps it up for today. Thanks for hanging in there through this post. You are the best - seriously. Have a fantastic weekend - and don't forget to turn your clocks back!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on fall weather -- I've been in boots and leggings for about a week and it's wonderful. But we had a lovely sunny day yesterday that also make me really happy. The longer slow stays away, the better!

    ReplyDelete