Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Residence - Kate Andersen Brower

The Residence
Title: The Residence: Inside the Private World of The White House
Author: Kate Andersen Brower
Publication Date: 4/7/15
Pages: 352
How I Found It: TLC Book Tours
Date Completed: 4/10/15

Summary: After interviewing dozens of White House staff members from over the years, Brower has compiled an interesting collection of stories and insights regarding what goes on in the private part of America's most famous house.

What I Thought: I am a political nerd. I am the girl who is stoked for the 2016 election, rather than immediately blocking anyone who mentions it on Facebook (ok, I am doing some of that, too. Come on, people. Think and research before you post!). Even more than my political interests, however, I am fascinated with the process and persons of the presidency. Pretty much from the moment my mom I made a White House replica from styrofoam in the fourth grade, I have loved the house, its history, and the stories it's held.

It only follows that this book speaks directly to that interest. I loved the insider peaks at White House life. The presidents' families are the closest we get to royalty here in the States, and we all know my feelings about the royals (sidebar: How freaking perfect is the name Charlotte Elizabeth Diana? I'm in love with it and the whole Cambridge family). I loved reading little snippets of information on the First Families. For instance: which First Lady regularly yelled at her husband? and how much did the White House staff know about JFK's affairs? 

The book does get a bit gossipy at times though I am certainly not complaining. In fact, the more historical, regimented parts were less interesting to me. Go figure. Still, I loved it all. We do not get many glances into the private lives of our presidents (as it should be, I think), and so any small glimpse fascinates me and, I suspect, many of you.

Rating: ★★★★☆
Will I Re-Read: Unlikely, but I'm sure I'll reference and recommend it.

A Reduced Review: Brower pulls up the curtain on the private side of America's most famous house, granting us inside access and perspective on the presidency. 

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, those elementary school projects always required parental help. :)

    I'm glad you enjoyed this book! Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete