Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Dismantling - Brian DeLeeuw

The Dismantling
Title: The Dismantling
Author: Brian DeLeeuw
Publication Date: 4/28/15
Pages: 288
Genre: Thriller / Fiction
How I Found It: TLC Book Tours
Date Completed: Haven't finished yet!

Summary: Simon Worth is a med-school drop out now working as an organ broker. He connects wealthy, dying clients with desperate donors. It's all totally illegal, of course. His job is to make sure things go smoothly and the hospitals do not discover the real transaction happening between their patients. Things get tricky when a poor California woman donate a portion of her liver to an unlikable former NFL player.

What I Thought: This is the first time I have not finished a book before posting about it, but this is when I'm schedule for the book tour, so here goes! I'll post a little update once I finish.

At this point, I'm about 100 pages into the book. Between all our traveling lately, I simply haven't been able to get any further. It's not for lack of desire. I am genuinely interested to find out what happens to Simon Worth and his troublesome clients. I have not actually discovered a whole lot more than what is in the summary - at least not yet. I can tell that I am right on the verge of things picking up. The book, which has been largely reflective and action-free thus far, is about to turn into a thriller of sorts. 

I am looking forward to seeing where the rest of the book goes. This world of illegal organ donations (and professional sports) is so far outside of my experiences. It's hard to imagine being truly so desperate as to pay a stranger literal blood money for their organ. There's a lot to reflect on in the midst of the action, a quality I prefer in my thrillers. DeLeeuw touches on everything from the complexities of the health care industry, the dangers of being a professional athlete, alcoholism, and strained family dynamics. His characters have a depth and heart, even if they are broken hearts. 

For those of you who are intrigued, make sure you enter the giveaway below. I love giving away books and the published has graciously made it possible for me to do so today. I'll keep the giveaway open for a week, so keep coming back and entering!

*To read other bloggers' thoughts on The Dismantling, check out the full tour schedule.*

Rating: ★★★☆☆ (so far)
Will I Re-Read: Probably not, but I'm passing it to Kevin next.
If You Liked This Try: The Dinner / Black Chalk / Dark Places

A Reduced Review: When the patients involved in an illegal liver transplant aren't exactly model citizens, things deteriorate quickly. 

3 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy this one once you find the time to read it! Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to post a comment yesterday, but it appeared I (the Internet) failed somehow...thanks for this opportunity to win this exciting new thriller. I've been doing a lot of very dense and serious reading of late and would love to indulge with a unique page-turner as this book seems to be! Cheers, Kara S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading the blog, Kara! I definitely know the feeling of wanting to lighten up my reading after a few dense books! Good luck!

      Delete