Friday, June 6, 2014

May 2014 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  

May News

I know this post is seriously overdue. You'll have to forgive me. Kevin and I just came back from Aruba. Honeymoon redo for the couple that encountered both Hurricane Sandy and a stomach virus on their original attempt. Let me just say, second attempt turned out way better. We could not have asked for a more perfect vacation in basically every way. Including the fact that I read six books in a week. Perfection.

May was a great month for reading. Kevin traveled a whole bunch for work and so, while I missed him, it meant I had ample time for both grad school and books. There was a bit of overlap, I'll admit. You'll see a few grad school books on the list below. I won't be reviewing them on the blog, but they certainly still count as books read in my mind!

I completed nine books this month. Crazy. I never would have guessed I could maintained this pace this year. And I'm reading good books! There have been so few duds. Maybe because I'm really working on making my way through my On Reserve list. Who knows. I just know 2014 is turning out to be an awesome book year.



Books Reviewed

  1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J. K. Rowling
  2. Year of Wonders - Geraldine Brooks 
  3. Delicious! - Ruth Reichl
  4. A Room with a View - E. M. Forster
  5. Drama High - Michael Sokolove
  6. The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett 

Books Read

  1. A History of Jordan - Philip Robins - 5/4
  2. Howard's End - E. M. Forster - 5/9
  3. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia - David. E. Long - 5/11
  4. One Night in Winter - Simon Sebag Montefiore - 5/16
  5. The Death Cure - James Dashner - 5/18
  6. As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner - 5/21
  7. Elizabeth the Queen - Sally Bedall Smith - 5/25
  8. Chasing the Sun - Natalia Sylvester - 5/30
  9. Submergence - J. M. Ledgard - 5/31
Pages Read: 2,966

Favorite Book Read: Call me a total nerd, but my favorite book this month was hands down Elizabeth the Queen.

100 Best Novels Progress

  • 2 completed this month (Howard's End and As I Lay Dying)
  • 25% complete - Wahoo! Milestone!


Articles

Everyone knows that falling asleep with a good book is the best. ThinkGeek thinks so, too. Too bad they don't have more selection.

Think you're well-read? Try this quiz and either take pride or get a little humbled.

A great list of reasons why books are awesome.

If you read my review of Empty Mansions earlier this year, then you'll definitely be interested in these newly released photos of Huguette Clark.  

~     ~     ~
That's it for May. Take your books outside and enjoy some sunshine while you read! After all, nothing better passes the sun tanning time than a good book.

What books will be going with you to the beach or the pool this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment